Setting up VPN on Android: what and how to do
To figure out how to set up VPN on Android, you first need to know which the protocol for organizing a VPN service is built into the specified OS. Most often, modern versions of the mobile operating system are equipped with a combined L2TP / IPsec protocol, the joint operation of the individual parts of which forms a strong and secure VPN technology. It allows you to provide a secure connection between the client device and the VPN server via the Internet.
Built-in VPN on Android: the principle of combined work
VPN clients L2TP/IPsec are usually built into most operating systems, including Android, allowing it is easy for users to set up and use VPN connections with servers that support these protocols. These programs (let's call them VPN functions) open access to remote networks, help bypass various types of blocking, or ensure the security of Internet traffic when using unsecured or open Wi-Fi networks.
These two protocols are combined in order to organize the maximum level of data protection and high technical performance of the VPN connection:
- L2TP (Layer 2 Tunneling Protocol) is a link layer protocol that provides the ability to create a tunnel between a client and a VPN server. It does not provide data security on its own, so it is usually used in conjunction with IPsec to provide encryption and authentication.
- IPsec (Internet Protocol Security) is a set of protocols and algorithms designed to secure traffic on a network. It provides data encryption, provides verification and organization of the integrity of data packets and authentication of devices connecting to the VPN network.
How to connect VPN on Android: step by step instructions
Configuring VPN on Android devices may vary depending on the version of the operating system and interface, but in general terms, the process consists of the following fundamental steps:
- 1. Server preparation. Before you can activate the installed VPN on your phone, you must have access to the VPN server. This can be a third party provider or your own VPN server that supports L2TP/IPsec.
- 2. Data preparation. To set up a VPN manually on Android, the user also needs to know the IP-address or domain name of the VPN server, the username and password for authentication, and the L2TP connection name (usually the server name).
- 3. Setting. In this paragraph, we will tell you how to set up VPN on your phone. Go to "Settings" - "Connections" - "Other settings" - "VPN" (the menu item may be named differently in different versions of Android). Next, click on "Add VPN profile" or "Add VPN connection".
- 4. Protocol selection. In the VPN profile window that opens, select L2TP/IPsec. If it is not there, then this protocol is not supported by your OS version. Choose from the presented list and focus on its characteristics.
- 5. Data input. To set up a VPN via Android, you need to enter the following information: VPN connection name (the user sets it yourself), IP-address or domain name of the selected VPN server, IPSec common keyword (if necessary), L2TP connection name.
- 6. Select authentication and save settings. Specify what parameters are required to be entered when entering your VPN network and save the entered data.
- 7. Test VPN connection through settings. In the settings, select the created VPN connection and activate it.
Now you know how to enable VPN on your phone. Above is a step-by-step algorithm that will tell you how to connect VPN on Android for free. If all settings are entered correctly, your device should successfully connect to the VPN using the L2TP/IPsec protocol. In some cases, there may be additional options or settings that depend on the specific configuration of your VPN server.
VPN via phone: a private VPN server will help
If you are interested not only in how to enable VPN on Android, but also in how to organize a safe and secure Internet connection, we recommend buying a private VPN server. Of the various options for remote proxy servers, this one is characterized by the highest degree of data protection, which guarantees anonymity, security and hassle-free access to a wide variety of Internet resources.
You can find out the maximum of detailed information about private VPN servers, their capabilities, options and lease terms, payment methods and server geography on the Private VPN server. On this site you can also learn how to install VPN on Android and a lot of other useful information about VPN.