Custom VPN: basic information
Creating your own VPN is a great way to provide a secure and encrypted connection for your internet traffic, especially when you're using open and public (read – untrusted) networks. With your own VPN, you can ensure your privacy and protect your data from unauthorized access.
How to create your own VPN: basic steps
The task of making a VPN yourself can be quite difficult, especially if you have no experience in setting up networks. Below is a general list of the fundamental steps that you need to go through in order to create your own VPN network:
- Determine the VPN protocol. There are several different VPN protocols such as OpenVPN, L2TP/IPsec, PPTP, IKEv2, IPsec and others. Most often, novice creators of their own virtual networks use OpenVPN, as it is secure and has an open source code. But the final choice of the protocol depends on the solution of tasks, for the sake of which the own virtual network is created.
- Select a platform/server, since the work of VPN (traffic routing) is organized through a similar resource. You can use a physical server or a virtual machine with an operating system that supports the selected VPN protocol (for example, Linux for OpenVPN).
- Configuring the VPN server. You need to configure the selected VPN protocol on your particular server. Instructions for installing and configuring each protocol can be found on the official website of the developer.
- Creating VPN client configurations yourself. If different users are expected to connect to the virtual network you created, they must have the appropriate configuration files. You can create these files manually or use the tools provided by various VPN servers.
- Secured configuration organization. At this stage, you need to make sure that the private VPN you made, in particular your VPN server, is protected and updated. Use multi-level security, complex passwords and regularly update server and VPN software.
- The final stage – testing. After setting up your own VPN, you need to test it to make sure everything works correctly and securely.
If you can't create your own VPN
Setting up your own virtual private network can be tricky and definitely requires server administration skills. If you do not have experience in this area, it is recommended to contact a specialist or use the services of trusted VPN providers who will provide you with all the necessary resources and instructions for a secure Internet connection.
If you managed to create a private VPN and its configuration and testing were successful, but at some point the network stopped working – some reasons, why VPN does not work, can be found on the Private VPN server.
How to make your VPN better: a private VPN server will come in handy
One of the fundamental steps that directly affects the security of the private network you create is the choice of a VPN server. And to ensure the maximum level of protection for data routed through the server, the best solution would be – buy a private VPN server.
What level of protection and what features does the use of a private VPN server, see Private VPN server. On the same site you will find all the necessary information on how to pay and which rental option to choose, answers to frequently asked questions in the FAQ section and a lot of other interesting information about VPN. Learn how to create and raise your VPN, choose the right strategies, analyze intermediate results and make the right choice.