Double VPN: increased protection and privacy
What is double VPN? At first glance, double VPN looks like using two VPNs at the same time, but this is not entirely true. The main difference is that instead of one VPN server, two different ones are used, working sequentially. Thus, a dual VPN connection provides two levels of encryption and anonymity for your Internet traffic.
VPN through another VPN: how it works, features
The principle of operation of a double VPN can be explained in simple words: traffic from the user’s device is routed through the first server VPN in Kazakhstan, for example, then passes through another one in India and only after such routing does it go to the target resource. This means that your data is encrypted, then decrypted, encrypted again, and then decrypted again on its way to you (in the case of receiving information) or from you (in the case of sending requests, entering sensitive data, etc.). With this traffic processing process, your actual IP address is replaced twice, because each VPN server overlays its own IP address. This creates an auxiliary level of anonymity.
Double VPN: pros and cons
The positive aspects of using double VPN connections are:
- Additional level of security. The second VPN server does not see the user’s actual IP address, which already increases anonymity.
- Double encryption. Traffic sent to and received by your phone or PC is double-encrypted, thereby increasing data security.
- Use of different types of protocols. Connections between virtual physical servers can use different TCP/UDP protocols, enhancing security.
- Minimize the likelihood of unauthorized access. By using two VPN servers, you reduce the risk that attackers or snoopers will be able to link your incoming and outgoing network flows based on time, data volume, or other parameters. This makes your online activity more anonymous and secure, making it much more difficult for attackers to track your traffic and determine which requests are related.
- Multi-node connection. You can hide your digital activities behind different geographical locations using two or more sequentially connected VPN servers.
The main disadvantage of VPN 2 and VPN chains with a larger number of nodes is the reduction in Internet connection speed. This is due to the fact that the data undergoes several-step processing each time, which inevitably affects the speed. You can reduce this effect by choosing servers that are close to each other, but with double encryption the speed will always be slower.
In addition, the cost of using double VPN connections and VPN chains may be higher due to the use of multiple VPN servers and services.
How to create a VPN chain: combination options
There are several ways to configure two sequentially operating VPNs or an entire VPN chain. Here are the most common ones:
- VPN with automatic connection to two or more servers. If this is your option, choose providers that provide dual VPN connections.
- Multi-node VPN connections. Build your VPN chain by setting up connections to different servers. This requires knowledge in the field of creation and operation of VPN networks.
- Setting up a router with a connection via a VPN client. Set up a VPN on your router and use the VPN client on the device together with it.
- Browser extension with connection via VPN client. Additional layers of security can be added through a browser extension in combination with a VPN service.
- Host device and virtual machine. Create a virtual machine and connect it to the VPN server.
- VPN chain with different service providers. Use a different VPN provider for each node in the chain.
Choosing the best method depends on your needs, level of technical awareness, target budget and priorities.
An effective option for double VPN: with a personal server
Dual VPN with private VPN server is a connection in which your Internet traffic passes through two different servers, one of which is your private VPN server. It is configured on a virtual server for your own requests and only you use it. The benefits of this approach are increased levels of encryption and anonymity, as well as a greater degree of control over data and security.
You can buy a private VPN server and explore various related issues on Private VPN server. Here you will also receive information about server rental conditions, payment options, server locations and much more - everything is available in one convenient informative source .