Choose the best VPN for work
VPN, aka Virtual Private Network — it is a secure, encrypted connection that allows the user to bypass local restrictions while maintaining privacy. The very word "virtual" implies the absence of a real, physical network. That is, the user is not connected to a group of computers or devices through any common communication channels. Instead, the user's connection will be virtual, meaning it is not affected by the number or type of channels it is routed over. But the word "private" in the name of VPN indicates that this is a closed system, access to which only a select group of people has.
VPNs are able to identify all users and the data they transmit. Encryption is used to protect information from third parties. The network is responsible for ensuring that the data does not get to strangers. They check the source of the traffic and ensure that no data is publicly transmitted outside the internal system.
Now let's take a closer look at what benefits you will get from using GDPR in practice. Let's dwell on the principles of the virtual private network, consider in what cases you should use it. We will also get acquainted with what types of this product exist today, as well as the protocols used. We will tell you what points you should pay attention to in order to choose the best VPN for yourself.
The benefits of using the best VPNs in practice
If you decide to use a virtual private network in practice, you can see for yourself its benefits:
- Ensuring reliable protection of transmitted data. Access to information is possible only with an encryption key, which ensures your security and privacy when working online.
- Location masking. The GEO data of your device is hidden from view and is transmitted directly from the VPN server. This may be the geolocation of another country, making it impossible to determine exactly where your device is physically located. In addition, VPNs do not keep logs of user activity, which means there is no record of your activity on the Internet, ensuring the anonymity of all actions – no browser can track you.
- Effective bypass of regional locks. When you travel, you may not be able to access certain websites in a given country. In addition, we should not forget about products blocked at the regional level. As an example: Russian streaming services are only available in Russia. If you have a secure connection, you can switch to another country (force a change of GEO at work) and still be able to watch the content.
- Secure data transfer. When you work remotely, you may need to access sensitive company data. To prevent them from being leaked, you should use a data-encrypted connection. This eliminates the possibility of leakage of confidential information and, accordingly, the stability of the work.
On the basis of what principles the best VPNs work
A virtual private network connection redirects data packets from your device to another remote server before passing them on to third parties on the internet. Here are the basic principles on which VPN technology is based:
- Tunneling protocol. VPN forms a secure passage for the exchange of information between your local computer and the server itself, located many kilometers away. When you enter the Internet, the server automatically takes care of the safety of all your data. Neither your ISP nor anyone else can view the content of your web traffic.
- Providing security with encryption protocols. IPsec (a suite of protocols for securing IP communications) scrambles data before it is sent over the tunnel. The VPN service in this case works like cabbage soup. It changes the data into an incomprehensible format at one end, and decrypts it at the other end. This serves as protection against all sorts of vulnerabilities, regardless of the security of the Internet connection. Network traffic can no longer be the "weak link" and your connection to the World Wide Web is now secure.
A little about the data encryption protocols that the best VPNs use
Today, there are quite a few protocols designed to encrypt streaming data. The best GNPs can use the following solutions:
- OpenVPN. The most preferable in terms of the level of protection, speed of interaction, stability and reliability. It is open source so developers can check it for vulnerabilities and alert the company of any issues that need to be fixed.
- L2TP/IPsec. Positions itself as a worthy alternative to OpenVPN. In theory, this is true, but recently information appeared on the network that the US National Security Agency had already obtained the encryption keys for it. But no one will tell you so far in reality.
- IKEv2. Option optimized for use on smartphones. Able to automatically reconnect to the network when the connection is broken. It also has a high data transfer rate. But, you need to know that the number of compatible operating systems today is somewhat limited here. In addition, inexperienced users may experience difficulties during the installation process.
- SSTP. Great option for the Windows operating system. Microsoft officially supports SSTP as their own development. This protocol is easy to install and fast to operate. Its only drawback— difficulty of installation for other operating systems.
- PPTP. The most popular of the protocols, with a high connection speed, but its security features leave much to be desired. The NSA has been proven to have access to the encryption keys for it.
Why use a VPN?
VPNs provide a more reliable connection to the public internet and increase the security of the online activities of every user on the network. In the digital age, people are accustomed to living in tandem with smartphones: checking email in supermarkets, browsing their social media accounts, logging into bank accounts using mobile devices, including using public Wi-Fi networks. This network connection is vulnerable to hacking because you are using an open network. Using a VPN when connecting to unsecured public Wi-Fi hotspots can protect both your data and your device.
Practical application of the best VPNs guarantees:
- Reliable protection of your data. Force ISP or web browser to keep search history private — not an easy task. Companies have been known to sell browser logs to third parties for marketing purposes. So, by reading about leaky faucets, you can get targeted ads from local plumbers – And this, alas, is the norm. The best way to protect your data from this kind of abuse — use VPN connection.
- Access live streaming services abroad. When you are away from home, your streaming services may not be available due to a number of legal restrictions. Connecting a VPN will help you change the IP-address and geolocation of the country of origin, allowing you to enjoy your favorite shows from anywhere in the world.
- Protect your privacy. The use of virtual private networks allows you to remain anonymous and at the same time ensure confidentiality. This makes it impossible for others to track your activity and conversations on the Internet, providing you with the basic right to freedom of expression — provided that you do not reveal your true identity on social media.
When the need for VPN will be especially relevant
Here are a few situations where using a VPN would be more than appropriate in practice:
- Using the Internet while abroad. If you are an avid traveler, this does not mean that you should give up your usual ways of accessing the Internet. Consider using a virtual private network to surf the internet just like you would at home, no matter how far away you are.
- Online TV. Watch your favorite movies and series from streaming services including Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, Hbo without any restrictions from your ISP or local Wi-Fi network.
- Protect your data with a VPN. When you surf the Internet using public Wi-Fi networks in cafes, airports and parks, your personal data is at risk. To protect yourself, connect your devices to a virtual private network. It encrypts data and protects you from possible attacks.
- Participation in online games. Through virtual private networks, they unlock content that may be restricted on your network, such as maps, skins, and other add-ons. In addition, they protect you from DDOS attacks, reduce ping and overall latency.
- Anonymity of online shopping. P2p file sharing often implies that others can see your IP address and even see what you're downloading. VPN provides hiding your address, providing you with more private file downloads. In addition, some e-commerce sites display different prices for users from different locations. With Virtual Private Networks, you can take advantage of the best deals available around the world, regardless of your current location.
Main types of virtual private networks
Today, there are three main categories of VPNs:
- Commercial. Such VPNs are also called personal or consumer. They are private networks intended for individual users and require payment.
- Corporate. Designed for use in corporate networks. Organizations can now provide their remote workers with a secure Internet connection as if they were in the office. Unlike consumer VPNs, corporate networks provide an additional layer of security and privacy for companies, not individual users.
- Self-configuration. Some especially talented people prefer to create their own VPN network on their own equipment. However, they will not provide the same level of protection as commercial VPNs.
Choose the best VPN correctly
The efficiency, stability and convenience of working with virtual private networks largely depend on how correctly and consciously you choose a provider. Choosing the best VPN can be a daunting task due to the multitude of offers on the market today. Our recommendations will help to significantly simplify this process:
- Pay attention to the logging policy The best VPN services have minimal or no logging policies. This avoids data leakage.
- Estimate the frequency of software updates. Reliable VPNs use the most advanced version of the tunneling protocol. The OpenVPN protocol is much more reliable than the others. This open source software works with all major operating systems.
- The presence of bandwidth restrictions. All services have data usage restrictions. You need to choose the provider that will provide the necessary traffic limit within your budget.
- Geolocation server location. When choosing a VPN service provider, it is important to make sure that their server is located in the country where you need the most private network access.
- Paid and free VPN. In order to save money, free VPNs may seem like a good option, but you need to understand that they will demand something from you in return. So, advertising is often the main source of income for free VPNs. And there is also a high risk of transferring your personal data to third parties. In addition, most free VPNs do not support the latest protocols, will not provide you with top-notch technical support, will have slower speeds and narrow bandwidth. They can be turned off at any time, they may not work in a particular region. If you do not want to take risks, then your choice is – reliable paid virtual private networks.
One of the best solutions for today – "Individual VPNs". For more than reasonable money, you get the widest possible functionality, stability and ease of use. These are the best VPN for today. Check out their benefits for yourself! We also offer to evaluate promotions and discounts from "Individual VPN".