Is it worth working on the Internet without VPN: what you need to know about it
Using a virtual private network (VPN) – the easiest and most convenient way to access web content that is blocked in your region. But this is not the only application of this technology. It also protects your online activity from prying eyes, thus ensuring that your online privacy is protected. A VPN will help keep your data private and protect it from anyone who might try to track you and see what you are doing online.
When your computer is not connected to the Internet, the only way for anyone to know what you are doing — is to look over your shoulder. However, when you connect to a network, your information can be accessed by a wide range of people, from your ISP and public Wi-Fi owners to analytics sites. Even government agencies may be interested in what you do online. They are able to track all traffic, easily determine your real IP address, geolocation. This is how your work on the Internet will be without VPN.
Now let's take a closer look at what risks you may face in this case. Let's tell you what you get from connecting a virtual private network to work. Here are a number of parameters that you need to focus on when choosing a service provider. We are sure that after reading the information provided, you will no longer want to work without VPN.
Risks of working remotely on the Internet without VPN
It is important to understand the risks associated with browsing the Internet. It doesn't matter what kind of work you do: professional activity, search for materials for home use – these risks exist regardless.
It's important to differentiate between your personal and professional online presence. When carrying out professional activities on the Internet and establishing contact with a client, you may be forced to disclose certain personal information related to your work, experience and skills. But, even if you do not provide data about yourself on your own, the network has a sufficient set of tools to get the relevant information without your knowledge and permission. And this is the norm for those who work without VPN.
Here are the main threats that all Internet users without exception may face:
- High risks of becoming a victim of unauthorized access. Because of the need to access data to be productive online, working remotely comes with a set of security risks. The first one— is «ordinary» the thieves. They will pose as potential customers, feign interest in your services or tasks in order to obtain confidential information and then pass it on to someone who is ready to buy it. Secondly, there are "cyberbullies" who use threatening tactics in cyberspace. They will pretend to be interested in your work, ask for unnecessary private details, and even offer you "payment" if you agree to work with them. Another point: high susceptibility to malware that can be installed on your PC without your knowledge.
- The risk of suffering from unscrupulous employers. When looking for a job, you need to be vigilant, as there are individuals who want to take advantage of you. They often post fake offers on social networks such as Facebook or Linkedin and once you provide them with your personal information or resume, they will delete your profile and disappear.
- Inability to access certain sites due to regional restrictions. There are some restrictions that at the legislative level do not allow you to access certain resources. If you use a VPN with the geolocation of another country, you can bypass these restrictions. But without a VPN, you won't be able to get through the ban.
In any case, it's important to make sure you're safe and protected before you start surfing the net. It doesn't take much effort though. It is enough to provide password protection and mask your identity with the help of VPN. Once you install the appropriate program (good options are WireGuard, OpenVPN, StrongSwan) and connect to a trusted server , you will automatically secure your devices.
Ideally, it's best if your server is tied to the same country where you work. An alternative solution is to connect to your home region, as some digital nomads and telecommuting platforms require you to comply with certain country-specific legal requirements. Even if you are mobile, you can always install one of the best VPN apps to protect your portable device.
If you want to separate your online business from your in-person online presence, it's a good idea to change the bulk of your social media accounts as a precaution. Now you understand how limited your work will be without VPN.
What will get you connected to the virtual private network
The Virtual Private Network will act as an intermediary between you and the internet. It is a dedicated remote server that connects to the network through an encrypted cloud tunnel. Geographically, the server can be located in any country in the world. In some cases, your ISP may detect that you are using a VPN, but they won't know why. For the relevant authorities and websites, you are now considered a foreign user.
Judge for yourself: can you safely and stably surf the Internet without a VPN:
- Working productivity from home, coffee shop or office. Using a VPN at work can help you maximize pipe efficiency. Working remotely, at a desk in your favorite coffee shop or even in the office can be great. And all this without the slightest restrictions and risks. You will not have to be distracted by trifles, which will have a positive effect on productivity.
- Getting remote access to your work PC. Today, there are plenty of programs that provide remote access to certain devices. The main thing is that your working machine is turned on at this time. Your colleague can take care of this. But here the issue of maintaining a high level of security of your connection and maintaining confidentiality is important. And this without VPN can be very difficult. Activating the VPN client does not require any effort from you, but it can be very useful. Reliable remote access protection – this is reality with a reliable server.
- Protection when using public Wi-Fi. Without VPN, your data that is transmitted through public networks will become easy prey for attackers. Many people already know how safe free Wi-Fi is. Several hazards have been identified in open hotspots in the past. Programs like Network Monitor installed on laptops, phones and tablets can intercept and receive unencrypted information. In addition, fake wireless networks that appear to be legitimate can track your every connection activity. Connecting a VPN server to work will give you the opportunity to work from anywhere, be it coffee shops, transport terminals, shopping centers or other places where there is free Wi-Fi. Only he can provide you with truly reliable protection.
Don't risk it — don't work without a VPN. Especially today, when hacker technologies are constantly being improved, developed, and become more and more sophisticated. It is not safe to leave your login credentials to a random person in the same room as you. And there is no difference whether it is public free Wi-Fi or paid. It is not your property and is not under your control. Therefore, do not connect to it without a GNP. Purchase a secure virtual private network subscription and install the corresponding app on your computers, laptops, tablets and mobile phones (remember you can use WireGuard, OpenVPN, StrongSwan) to ensure your data is safe.
Choosing a VPN service: 10 things to consider
Now that you know that you should not work on the Internet without a VPN, it's time to move on to choosing a reliable service provider. And here it is important to evaluate a number of criteria:
- Connection speed. This is the most important element that distinguishes top-notch VPN servers from the rest. We don't like it when the internet slows down. Fortunately, there are quite a few services that provide fast and reliable access to the network. When choosing a VPN service, give preference to those that offer several package options. Thus, you will always have the right speed for streaming, p2p work or any other activity.
- Security. While speed is one of the key factors to consider when choosing a VPN, it is not the only important criterion. Safety is also paramount. Make sure the virtual private network offers features such as no logs, IP masking, kill switch, and more. This will help keep your connection secure, anonymous, and most importantly, secure.
- Encryption strength. Encryption technologies that are used in practice by service providers can play an important role. Keeping your information secure is paramount and the best VPN should take every precaution to protect this security. Advanced encryption methods pass your data through multiple servers, not just one. This is especially important when maintaining anonymity is a priority. Generally, regular VPNs have a sufficient level of encryption, but better services usually provide a wider choice of encryption options.
- Accessibility. A high-end VPN should be easily accessible, no matter where you are in the world. This is especially true for travelers who rely on VPN services to access content that may be blocked in their region. Availability of a virtual private network depends on the restrictions in force in a particular country. Be sure to consider this when choosing a service. This will keep you online when you need it most.
- Flexibility in settings. It is important that the VPN service you choose is flexible and supports various platforms, operating systems, and will allow you to adjust the work to individual characteristics and personal wishes. Look for one that works simultaneously on desktops, laptops, and mobile devices. You never know when and from what device you will need virtual private network services, so do not limit yourself to one platform or operating system. The best VPN services of today are able to provide a full range of solutions, so make sure you do not miss this really valuable opportunity.
- Simplicity and ease of use. If you need to be an information technology expert to use a VPN service, you should not endure such inconvenience. Contrary to the opinion of many people, programs based on complex and advanced technologies can be simple and easy to use, understandable on an intuitive level. If you can't figure out the VPN interface in a few minutes, look for a simpler alternative. The web is full of great options.
- P2P file sharing. Peer-to-peer (p2p) file sharing is often blocked by network providers as well as VPN services, but it can be an effective and appropriate tool in many circumstances. When choosing a server, make sure it doesn't limit your bandwidth. Quality VPNs also take steps to ensure that there are no problems connecting to the p2p network. This means you can enjoy p2p file sharing without worrying about slow performance.
- Static IP-address. Having a static IP-address is extremely important when using VPN services. It provides the highest level of security and extremely wide access to Internet resources. If you want to ensure complete protection and a unique connection, then having a static IP-address is a must. In addition, there are other scenarios where a static IP-address is needed. Even if you don't need it all the time, it's important to be able to activate it at any time for complete peace of mind. Once again: this is not a job without a VPN, with a huge number of risks.
- Technical assistance. In addition to the features of the VPN service described above, there is another important detail: the presence of a reliable assistant who can be contacted for answers to any questions related to the operation of the network. This will be especially relevant for those who are not very well versed in this topic. Reliable technical support — very rare, but it is very important to make sure that the VPN provider provides it. They should have a comprehensive FAQ section as well as a team of knowledgeable technicians. This will allow you to make sure that they provide excellent service and value their customers.
- Price. We can say that for many this is a decisive factor. When it comes to choosing a VPN service, it is quite reasonable for a client to want to get quality services at a low cost. Some might argue that free services have their advantages. Although it is true that they do not cost a dime. But this is where the old adage “there are no free meals” comes into play. In other words, you will have to pay for the service in other ways, including with your own personal data. For starters, free VPNs do not provide any guarantees: neither security, nor data privacy, nor quality of service. What's more, you won't get access to many of the great features that paid VPN services offer. The risks of using free VPNs are too high and there are no guarantees. That's why it's better to choose paid services
All these requirements are fully met by VPN from the "Individual VPN" service. You get a reliable product that will show itself perfectly in the workflow, please with a stable and efficient service, provide guaranteed bypass of regional blocking, help maintain confidentiality and security of online activities, and protect against any unauthorized access. If you all need to work directly, that is, without VPN, you can easily disable the virtual private network for a while. To do this, it will be enough just to move the slider to the inactive position. Similarly, you can quickly get it back to work.
There is also a 24/7 technical support service at your service. We also invite you to familiarize yourself with the current promotions and discounts, so as not to miss the opportunity to purchase reliable VPNs with even greater financial benefits.