VPN extension: extra freedom on the web
Many modern web browsers have built-in VPN extensions in their functional assets. Thanks to them, users have the opportunity to connect to remote servers simply and without additional manipulations for installing auxiliary programs. It is enough to define the connection parameters with a proxy server in a few clicks and the basic level of anonymity and security on the network is provided, as well as bypassing simple blocking.
Technically, a VPN extension is a software module that is built into the basic structure of a web browser. In some cases, you need to additionally download it from the extension gallery or buy it from the web store associated with a particular browser. After installing the VPN, the extension is integrated into the browser and its control panel appears in the interface of this browser.
VPN extension: features
VPN extension – a great way to quickly and effortlessly test a "demo version" the functionality of a personal VPN service in a space limited by one browser. They allow you to perform the same list of data operations as a personal remote server, but in a more primitive version:
- Bypassing simple GEO-related locks;
- basic anonymity organized by masking the real IP-address;
- protection against information leaks when connecting to insecure networks (public Wi-Fi) by relatively simply encrypting the traffic leaving your device;
- logically understandable control interface, easy installation.
The use of VPN extensions for network operations that do not require a special level of security is quite justified and acceptable. But in cases where any information about the – highly undesirable, for example, remote work with important or confidential information, worth assess all risks.
VPN extension: limitations and risks
The VPN extension is just a small part of the toolkit of a complete VPN service and has the following limitations:
- It only routes traffic that passes through a specific web browser with a configured VPN extension. The rest of the data generated on the PC by applications and programs outside the browser does not go through routing, encryption and other stages of VPN modification, respectively, is not protected in any way.
- A feature of VPN extensions is data processing: fixing, storing, tracking information. If the web browser vendors are not secure or trustworthy, this data may be misused.
To protect all the data that enters the network from your PC, one VPN extension in the browser will not be enough. For these purposes, VPN settings in the operating system or whatever more secure, purchase private VPN server.
VPN extension vs personal VPN: the bottom line is clear
VPN extension is an important step in familiarizing the user with the capabilities of VPN resources. And only after trying such a "demo version" in work, you can really realize the full potential of using a personal VPN:
- complete security – individual communication channel, access only by the user;
- complete anonymity – the highest levels of data encryption;
- maximum data processing speed;
- a wide range of functions, the ability to choose a personal VPN for a specific purpose and user;
- Ease of use – individual accompaniment, clear instructions.
All information about a personal VPN server (what is a VPN server and why you need it, how to choose it and pay, how to set up) can be found on Private VPN server.